Are you tired of the hustle and bustle of everyday life? Do you need a break from the stress and chaos of your job and home? Look no further than a cozy and comfortable bed and breakfast. In this guide, we will offer tips and advice on how to make the most out of your bed and breakfast experience.
What is a Bed and Breakfast?
A bed and breakfast, also known as a B&B, is a type of lodging that offers overnight accommodations and breakfast in the morning. Unlike hotels, bed and breakfasts are often smaller and more intimate, offering a more personalized and unique experience. Often with friendly and more sociable hosts, bed and breakfast create a comfortable and warm experience.
Why Choose a Bed and Breakfast?
There are several reasons why choosing a bed and breakfast over a hotel can enhance your travel experience. For one, bed and breakfasts offer a more personalized experience, with owners and staff that are dedicated to making your stay as comfortable as possible. They care about your experience beyond your overnight accomodations. Additionally, bed and breakfasts typically offer more unique and intimate accommodations, with rooms that are individually decorated and designed to provide a cozy and comfortable atmosphere. Topped off with gourmet breakfasts, full of flavor and unique to the specific B&B. Innkeepers are willing to work with their guests to create the perfect stay, experiencing not only the overnight stay but the town, city or region they are located in.
Researching the Perfect Bed and Breakfast
When researching the perfect bed and breakfast, there are several factors to consider:
- Location: Consider the location of the bed and breakfast and its proximity to local attractions and activities. For example the Swantown Inn is close to the downtown of Olympia while still being secluded in the gorgeous greenery that surrounds it.
- Price: Determine your budget for lodging and search for bed and breakfasts that fit within your price range. Often room prices will differ depending on the amenities provided and the amount of people staying. Make sure to check with your hosts about the range of prices and options for your stay. Often there are packages and specials that can make a property great value. Remember that breakfast is included, and will probably be enough food to hold you over to dinner.
- Amenities: Consider the amenities that are important to you, such as free Wi-Fi, a jacuzzi or hot tub, or a fireplace. Often with B&Bs breakfast is free and depending on the other ammenties may add great value, such as, if you stay at the Swantown Inn on the weekends our espresso window is open and free to our guests.
- Theme: B&Bs often have themes that often make your stay more enjoyable and fun! They can be anything and everything from Victorian mansions to western ranches. The theme can be based on the building or its surrounding environment. Some B&Bs will go as far as to center the decor, food, or even activities around their theme.
- Reviews: Read reviews from past guests to get a sense of the quality of the bed and breakfast and the experience of other travelers. Often websites like Tripadvisor can be helpful in discovering fun facts and information about your planned B&B.
What to Expect During Your Stay
Once you have chosen the perfect bed and breakfast, you can expect a personalized and comfortable stay.
- Welcome and Check-In: Upon arrival, you will be greeted by the owner or staff and given a tour of the property. Always check with your host what time you should be expected to arrive and if you have any allergies or services that will need to be provided for. Often this will be a good time to ask questions and meet the staff. Some B&Bs will provide you with robes, cookies, or even a wine hour. Feel free to enjoy these free gifts! It’s the host’s way of saying welcome.
- Room Tour and Amenities: Your room will be individually decorated and designed to provide a cozy and comfortable atmosphere. Be sure to take advantage of any amenities provided, such as a fireplace or jacuzzi tub. If needed there will be a smaller kitchen that you can use if you have a longer stay or so desire it, just make sure to ask the host about limitations!
- Breakfast and Dining Options: Wake up to a delicious breakfast served by the owner or staff. Additionally, many bed and breakfasts offer dining options throughout the day, such as afternoon tea or a wine and cheese hour. Most of the meals include many different courses and fresh ingredients often used from the surrounding area. The menu may shift day to day, so make sure to check the website or with the host as to what the plans are. A favorite of the Swantown Inn would be our famous scones, served fresh to our guests and at our espresso window.
- Activities and Local Attractions: Many bed and breakfasts are located in areas with plenty of local attractions and activities. Be sure to take advantage of these opportunities to explore the surrounding area and enjoy your stay to the fullest. They often can be seasonal so feel free to ask your host about events going on during your stay! You won’t want to miss out on farmers markets, concerts, local events and festivals.
Tips for a Relaxing Bed and Breakfast Experience
Here are some tips for maximizing your relaxation and enjoyment during your bed and breakfast stay:
- Unplug and Disconnect: Take a break from technology and enjoy the peaceful surroundings of your bed and breakfast.
- Take Advantage of Amenities: Whether it’s a fireplace, jacuzzi tub, rose garden, or cozy reading nook, be sure to take advantage of the amenities provided to enhance your relaxation. They are all there for you to enjoy so don’t be shy.
- Interact with Other Guests: Bed and breakfasts often provide a cozy and intimate atmosphere that encourages interaction with other guests. Take advantage of this opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. Often you can chat with others at meal times or when wandering around the gardens. You never know when you may make a new friend.
- Explore the Surrounding Area: Bed and breakfasts are often located in beautiful and scenic areas. Take the time to explore the surrounding area and enjoy the natural beauty of your surroundings. This is especially true at the Swantown Inn, we have lush greenery around our B&B and a gazebo that is perfect for a book and some complimentary coffee. As well as many parks and trails you can visit to enjoy the beauty of the Pacific Northwest.
A bed and breakfast can provide the perfect escape from the stress and chaos of everyday life. Whether you are looking for a romantic getaway or simply a peaceful retreat, a bed and breakfast can provide the personalized and unique experience that you are looking for. With these tips and advice, you can make the most out of your bed and breakfast experience and enjoy a truly relaxing and enjoyable stay at a place like the Swantown Inn in Olympia WA.